View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Thursday, January 24, 2008

Flying Visit

The day began perfectly at 4am, with the most amazing caterwauling outside my bedroom window. I swear there were words in it. At least one of my cats was stalking or being stalked by a fox or another cat. I went down into the garden to try to lure him in, to no avail. (Remember this is 4am!)

I go back to bed. As I close my eyes, certain in the knowledge that I am unlikely to doze off again because I will be worrying in case there is a feline injury in the offing, I realise there are flashing lights in my eyelids. Great - a migraine aura. Two painkillers later I was struggling to go to sleep, while trying to fix Bobby in my brain. Neither worked.

At 6.30am it was time to get up and get ready for work. I took two more painkillers, fed the creatures and myself, then set off in my car. Half a mile up the road, I suddenly realised I had not put all the parrots back in their cages. If I wanted to come home to birds with all their toes, I needed to go back and shut them all in. This meant I was late for work.

So all day my head has felt as if it belonged to someone else - and I've wished it did!

I also discovered that a teaching assistant who claims to be qualified as an English teacher does not know the meaning of the word "tenacious". She didn't understand "caterwauling" either, though to me the word sounds pretty self-explanatory. The ignorance of the young staggers me (yesterday I had to tell my students who Nelson Mandela is).

If I don't get to your blog today, forgive me.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

'My head felt like it belonged to someone else'....

Welcome to my world ;0)

SnarkAngel said...

Hope you're feeling better by now. What a horrific start to a work day. You deserve a hug from "the man" himself, after a day like that!

mauigirl said...

Migraines, kitties and parrots, Oh My! I do hope you're having a relaxing evening with no headache. And good idea snarkangel, V would most definitely help chase the migraine away.

BobbyG said...

So, was the kitty okay? I hate mornings like the one you described. Too bad you could not have just rolled over and stayed in bed for the day and nursed your migraine away. Hope all is better now.

Claire said...

OMG, I'm having problems sleeping at night too due to a bad cold. I feel like I've been sleepwalking at school, with hardly any patience. hmmm....
hope your headache goes away!

Unknown said...

caterwauling? isn't that what we all do when we don't have vdo???

did your migraine ever go away? what do you take for it? have you tried imitrex?

oh, and do ya think that you posted enough pix? tess actually counted and said that you did 65 of them!

Eliza said...

hope you're feeling better today (I'm late reading this)

Migraines are terrible,and they're even worse if you have to work through one..but you already know that :-)

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a horrible day. I really hate days like that (they always seem to happen on Mondays).

A good dose of Vincent should make it all better.

JoJo said...

Wow, what a way to start your day. Take 2 Vincents and call us in the morning!!!

Hope you are feeling better by now.

Unknown said...

Hope you're feeling better. There's nothing more likely to make one feel ancient than explaining to a student what a coalmine was...I kid you not!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake