View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Wednesday, November 28, 2007

BT and Sky - a study in ineffectiveness

I have a BT (British Telecom) phone line. When I signed up with the satellite company Sky, they offered free evening and weekend calls on my BT phone line.

Today I got a BT phone bill with THEM charging for those very calls. I phoned them. There were long queues and a call-back facility. I opted for it. Fifteen minutes later I got the call-back. She had to pass me on to someone else. OK. This person had almost lost her voice (ideal for answering queries on the telephone). She said she had to contact someone else. After a few moments of awaiting her return, I found I'd been put back in the queue. I decided after a few more minutes to hang up and try Sky.

After more than 30 minutes of "We are sorry you have been waiting longer than we would like. Please hold the line till an operative is free to talk to you," my meal was ready and I hung up in a second wave of disgust.

I have emailed both. The automatic reply says Sky hopes to get back to me within FIVE DAYS! Superquick, then. Did you people want me to change my broadband account to you? Apparently not.

11 comments:

SnarkAngel said...

How frustrating. I don't think even Comcast Cable (my cable TV and internet provider here in Chicago) is that bad! Do you have something equivalent to our Citizens Utility Board? Again, time and energy are involved, but complaining always makes me feel better. Heh-heh.

Anonymous said...

Snarkangel, this is the UK. The receipt of Customer-Non-Service' is every's Brit's birth right ;0)

Just be grateful you're not with Virgin, Val! I lost the will to live several times during the 3 months it took to persuade them to merge the phone and cable TV account with the Broadband account.

JoJo said...

I have the same cable/internet as Snarkangel and they aren't near as bad as what you guys have to deal with.

But when it comes to computer and program customer service/support, it's just as bad here as it is there. I once called Microsoft and was talking to a tech who was in Nova Scotia!!

Anonymous said...

I have Comcast, too. I don't think we've ever had any problems. It's interesting watching the commercials that say you shouldn't get Comcast because they have less features. I've seen the other guys. They have about 20 channels, and none of them are good.

This is what the world is coming to. Profit first.

Anonymous said...

I have a BT Line and BT Broadband and only use Sky for TV. I used to pay about a tenner a month to Talk Talk for free 24/7 national calls, but got persuaded to pay less to BT for the same service, except to date they've never billed me, nor for all the international calls I make... no doubt they'll wake up one day and change my d/d accordingly... doh!

Claire said...

Comcast was ok until I tried to watch The Thirteenth Floor on HBO and it was unwatchable with skipping and distorted video. Ugh! VDO deprivation made me hate them...

Eliza said...

I use Tiscali for phone and broadband..and I did have Sky for tv until last week.I got so fed up with waiting for them to come and sort my dish out that I cancelled it.Now I have to shop around for something else,although the choices are very limited :-(

Anonymous said...

i guess all over the world,is always the same thing!they always make us run in circles around,according to there rules!no suprise there!

mary said...

I had a 2000.00 bill and it took 3months, 2 registered letters, one canceled (by them) phone and alot of calls to get it cleared. Even then they never accepted responsibilty for the mistake!

Anonymous said...

Debs here-I am with Talktalk for computer & fone. Two days ago we had no service. Foned Talktalk, and although the fault was with BT, TT rang me on my mobile, sent me texts to update me, & when the service resumed rang to see if we knew it was back on, & did we need anymore help. Well impressed.

ann said...

spooky or what, but I got my BT bill today... I have been charged, but since it's not itemised I'm not sure what's cost what... however as things stand I owe them, but they're not adjusting my d/d yet

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake