View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Driving me mad

When I was about half a mile from home this evening, I got caught at the end of a traffic tailback. It's a regular one, but today it was far worse than usual. In the next 20 minutes I managed to move 0.2 miles. That's less than a mile an hour. It's caused by the confluence of 3 roads, with the mess being controlled only by a mini-roundabout. Maybe the local council will sort it out - on the day hell freezes over.

It's about a month now since I got my car back from having the scrape fixed that I managed to do to it all by myself. At about 10.30 last night, a neighbour knocked on the door to tell me she'd pranged my car's bumper. It turned out to be pretty much in the same place as what I've just had fixed. She'd like me to let her pay for the repair without involving the insurers (obviously wants to keep her no-claims bonus, nothing illegal going on, she's very law-abiding, and a prison guard to boot) but that won't pay for the loan car, will it?

Why can't my travelling life be more simple?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry did I miss something? If the neighbour wants to pay for the damage rather than trouble her insurance company then she needs to pay for a vehicle for your use if your car is off the road for the repair to be done.

Anonymous said...

I long ago decided the purpose of roads in the UK is to make it as difficult as possible for anyone to get from A to B. The concept of 'traffic flow' seems lost on the powers that be,'Traffic STOP - and as often as possible' being the order of the day.

My 2.5miles journey home tonight took me 35 minutes. There's only 3 roads pouring onto a mini island for me too......

AND if it makes you feel any better Val, this morning, and not for the first time, I didn't quite achieve the acute angle required to get out of the garage, so parked my car into the side of the house.

It hasn't been a great day!

ann said...

gee that sucks Val...

gee that sucks Diane...

theres definitely something about our roads that don't make life easy

val said...

Diane, I am so sorry. I'm even sorrier that I laughed, but it's the way you tell 'em.

Pauline, I know, but if the idea is to save money, it means it won't work for her. It was dark and I was tired, so we will wait till we have more time to hammer out the details. It's not something we'll argue over (like my feeding the fox...)

JoJo said...

We have terrible traffic over here too and I hate it. But at least all our highways don't converge on a "roundabout" as you call it (we called them Rotaries back east, and out here, Traffic Circle).

But Pauline's right, she needs to pay for your rental car as well as the damage, or else you'll just have to involve the insurance company.

SnarkAngel said...

That's the nice thing about my 11-year-old Geo Metro. The body has many dents, scratches, etc. But it runs great . . . still! I just DARE someone to hit it. Then I'll have at least the START of a down payment for a new car. Heh-heh. Hope things work out for you Val and Diane!

Unknown said...

yuck...traffic circles...and what i hate even worse, the "michigan lefts". you turn right, cross over and then turn left.
make her pay for your rental car, too.

Anonymous said...

What annoys me is that it's not like I can't SEE the house is there when I'm reversing out of the garage.... ;0)

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake