View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Case of the Curious Catflap

I just bought a new catflap, hoping that having the draught-proof strip round the edge of the door might lessen - well, draughts. It hasn't, but there's one thing it has done.

In the evening I lock the flap for going out, so that, as my cats come in, they have to stay in. It has to stay that way all night if one cat is still outside.

When the lovely Beano had his eye removed, he was no longer able to hook the flap inwards to escape and go hunting. He was more likely to lock it up completely. But for some reason, since I installed the new flap, he can do it again.

Last night, tiny Mitzi was the only cat left outside. Of course, she could have been the author of the events that ensued - but somehow I doubt it.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

My theory is that Beano (pictured here with Jaspa using him as a headrest) went back out early this morning while the birds were feeding, and helped himself to a pigeon. He brought it through TWO catflaps. When I came down at about 9am, there were enough feathers to point to someone's guilt, but not enough to signify a fatality. I searched under every piece of furniture, in every corner - no bird.


Then I thought - of course not. They would have ganged up on it and finished it off long ago. I raised my eyes and looked at the tops of the cupboards. Then I spotted it - on top of the boiler!
I have to say that it was far harder for me to get it out of the house than it had been for the cat to get it in! It took a mountain climbing expedition with towels to get the bird out of the window I opened inches to the left.

So, having deprived the cats of their chosen breakfast, I could finally start working on mine.

4 comments:

Nezumi said...

Clever Beano, to snap a pigeon with one eye! Cats are strange "people", they always surprise you. :o)

Claire said...

All the better for the pigeon! :)

kris said...

oh val that's great! what a fun post. your babies are adorable. i love cats, but alas, my #1 son is allergic to them. and i just found out that #2 is allergic to dogs, so we are out of the running for pets, altho sis has declared she wants a mouse for a pet....(i don't see this in our future..)

Unknown said...

Your cats are lovely and so clever. I have two cats,Bronte and Holly. If the male brings anything home it's usually still alive but if the female brings anything home it's always dead. Mmm!
The biggest thing Bronte ever brought home was a young magpie.I held my hand out and said,
"Give that to me young man!" in my best teacher's voice. To my amazement, he obeyed and I was able to let the startled but otherwise relatively unharmed bird fly away.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake