View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Tower of London

Begun by William the Conqueror in the late 11th century, the Tower of London was designed to deter further attempts at invasion. It was added to over the centuries by other monarchs and housed many prisoners charged with treason and awaiting execution, most famous among them Henry VIII's second wife, Anne Boleyn. It houses the Crown Jewels and the ancient Royal Armoury, including Henry's rather large suit of armour and his horse's armour, too.

The only person to enter through Traitor's Gate, by boat on the River Thames, and come out alive, was ELizabeth I.

The White Tower, William The Conqueror's stronghold.

A view of the ancient walls and some of the towers.


This green is now used for walking the dogs of those who live in the Tower, but it used to be the moat. Some people would like to see the moat reinstated.


Traitor's Gate, with tudor buildings above.


A Yeoman Guard (Beefeater)


Visitors come to the Tower in their thousands every day.


It is said that if the ravens ever leave the Tower, England will fall, so the birds are pinioned to stop them flying away. They have lovely aviaries to keep them safe at night, and dedicated keepers to pander to their every whim. They all have names.

2 comments:

ann said...

... yeah, and I have to tell you I don't like having my wings clipped!

A very good place to visit, when I've got nothing else to do.

lotsa luv ann xxxxxx

JoJo said...

This was one of my fave places that we visited on my brief, 4 day trip to London. The crown jewels were spectacular.

Of course now I have XTC's "Tower of London" stuck in my head....

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake