View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Sunday, June 18, 2006

Ightham Mote







This is a beautiful medieval manor house in Kent, England. It has been a family home all that time, including for the Astor family, and was passed to the National Trust about 20 years ago. It needed a lot of restoration because it was in a bad way, but they restored the interior as it had been the last time it was lived in. There's a gorgeous Tudor chapel and some half-timbered cottages in the lovely grounds. In the fourth picture down, on the right, you can see the enormous dog kennel. No enormous dog, though.

The restoration took more than 10 years and cost about £10 million, but worth every penny, in my opinion.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful, Val. Shame there's no canine inhabitant of the kennel, though!

ann said...

it sounds familiar to me, but don't think I've ever been there.

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

eliza said...

Val,you have to come to Oxford!! They've just re-opened the Castle Mound to visitors as well as some parts of the old prison.It's on my list of things to do this summer.

Thank you for sharing this with us.Any sympathetic restoration is always worth it,in my opinion.

Eliza xxxxx

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake