View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Monday, November 28, 2011

Nearly a Loser

I heard an interesting programme on the radio this afternoon about what film directors used to do to show they were not allowed creative freedom on a project and were unhappy with the final result. From 1968 to 2000 they would replace their own name in the credits with the name Alan Smithee. This signalled to members of the Directors' Guild in the US and its UK equivalent that they had not been allowed to do their own thing with the material.

One of the directors they interviewed was the (unexpectedly English) Alex Cox, who directed the big V in The Winner. Apparently the film came in under budget, and the studio went over his head and replaced his choice of music with some cheap and nasty stuff they commissioned themselves to use up the money inhouse. Cox felt it completely ruined the feel of the film, and almost used the time-honoured alias in the credits. I wonder if our man knew?








8 comments:

bobbybegood1 said...

Hmmmm, good question. Perhaps V wouldn't have done it had he known? Cheers!!

val said...

It was done after the fact, though - his bit was done and dusted.

JoJo said...

Wow that's pretty interesting. I will have to remember to watch for the name Alan Smithee.

Ruby said...

Very interesting, Val. I really like "The Winner," though!

Anonymous said...

I don't remember the music in this - possibly a 'good thing' ;0)

vikeau said...

I just recently saw "The Winner" I liked it. Funny I've become a Delroy Lindo fan because he's showed up in a number of VDO films. I have a friend that's a screen writer ghost writer/clean up guy. He's yet to have a credited project. But the pay's pretty good.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting tidbit, Val!

Anonymous said...

Just did some poking around...it seems there were 2 versions of this movie released...a studio version and a Director version that was released in Japan only.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake