View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Saturday, October 01, 2011

Poppy and Pansy Go Large

Today my girlies went to their new home. We had a long journey, about an hour and a half in my car with the most infuriating satnav I've ever come across. Their new keepers want them to meet their companions at leisure before making a full introduction, so they set up a small enclosure inside the hen house. The house looks a bit ramshackle, but it's fully insulated and they will be much warmer than in my garden if there's another snowy winter.
Here are a couple of their fellow flock members who have escaped from the enclosure (and do so every day) to scratch about in the huge main garden.
They also have a couple of geese to contend with.
The owners are cat breeders. This is one of their Bengal queens.
They also breed Burmese, and there were kittens galore. These two were chasing one another in and out of the chicken enclosure.
Two of the very small adults (I can't believe how small an adult Burmese can be!) and a tiny kitten curled up and ready for bed.
This little darling attached itself to my shoulder. I was sorely tempted to smuggle it into my bag and take it home.
I miss my girls already, and I'm pretty sure they wanted me to stay with them. But tomorrow they will have the run of a huge space and the attentions of a charming cockerel, so I don't think they'll miss me for long.

7 comments:

JoJo said...

You did the right thing Val and their new home looks fantastic and more than anything, spacious. The kittehs are adorable. I thought for sure, as I was reading, that you were gonna say you got one.

vikeau said...

Sorry to hear that you had to get rid of the girls. The way you wrote about them I could tell they each had a very distinct personality and brought you great joy. Their new home however looks terrific.

Music Wench said...

Wow, nice space for the girls. I know you'll miss them but at least you know they're in a good place. :-)

And I LOVE those cats! I would have smuggled one out for sure. lol They're just adorable.

Ruby said...

Beautiful pix, Val! I know how hard it must have been to give up your girls, but you did it for them. That is very selfless of you, and I'm sure they love you for that.

Sandy said...

No more fresh eggs, but you did get a lot of enjoyment out of them too. Did you have them for about a year? It is hard to keep any kind of animal thru the winters, especially the winters here. Gosh, a human could hardly survive last winter here.

val said...

I got them at the end of May last year, Sandy. I really miss them already. It surprised me how much I took to them and how quickly. But I couldn't give them as much free roaming time as they craved (and will now get) and I was completely shattered with looking after them. I might have come to resent them, and that wouldn't have been good.

ann said...

those eggs were absolutely wonderful -
i know how you feel when i had to find homes for my budgies when i moved and had no place or space for an aviary - birds are so entertaining, such characters with their own personalities

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake