View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Saturday, April 24, 2010

Crow vs Heron

In the last couple of days, I have been privileged to see our local young swan practise its flying, but I didn't manage to get it on film.

Today, I was determined to get some footage of another event that keeps taking place on the river.

There are two or three herons (not usually together, but as there is a youngster, there must be two parents) and today one of the parents was looking rather fine amongst the reeds.

There is also a rather enterprising crow that comes down and eats the bread people throw down for the ducks and the swan. This is the first time I've ever seen a crow do something like this.
Of course, the swan sees it off if it gets too near.


Sadly, the heron, despite its far greater size, is a bit more nervous than the swan:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice photos and video, Val! I love your updates on the birds you have around you. We have starlings that look like crows here and every since I was a kid they keep getting bigger and bigger. Now they look like they could carry small children away and they are noisy!

JoJo said...

*takes aim at the crow* Those damn flying rats make SUCH a mess on trash day, esp. if the lid isn't secured. So noisy. They sit on the wire outside my office and it's all I can do to keep from throwing things out the window at them.

SnarkAngel said...

Very nice footage, my dear!

Unknown said...

Poor lovely baby! This crow is a wild boy!!
Thanks for sharing val :o)

Music Wench said...

Love the updates on the birds. Glad you some photos and footage. :-)

bobbybegood1 said...

Not only do I get to watch Nature on PBS, but I get the chance to watch nature through your lovely videos, Val. I love that we share a tremendous admiration for God's creatures - great and small. Great work! Now, if you can just film - um, um, what's his name, it's coming to me, it's right on the tip of my tongue, oh yeah, VINCENT!!!!!!! Cheers!!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake