View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Friday, February 06, 2009

Hall Place

There are a few Hall Places around. The one I know is in the London Borough of Bexley which, strangely, is in Kent!

It has a medieval great hall, but has been added to over the centuries. The grounds are gorgeous. The formal gardens close to the house have some topiary figures that have become very difficult to identify over the years, but are mostly heraldic figures. There are restoration works going on in the house, and building works in the grounds, so it was not possible to go inside the building, or even get close.

Way back when I was an amateur opera singer, we put on several shows in the great hall itself. It was a wonderful venue, and floating down the grand staircase in period costume made the building feel haunted.

The current approach to the building, showing the medieval wing on the right.


From the formal garden you can see the tower with the chequerboard stonework.
The two-storey bay window is in the hall itself.


This building on the site is now part of a restaurant.
You can see the contrast between the tudor bricks and the modern ones.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My bet is that the Tudor bricks outlast the 'newer' ones ;0)

JoJo said...

WOW! What an interesting contrast b/t medieval and modern. *sigh* I'm gonna have to get back to England one of these days to shoot pictures!

SnarkAngel said...

I know Dean and I keep threatening to turn up in England one of these days, but we simply MUST! Well ... maybe as soon as this damned economy improves a bit ... okay ... that could by the time I'm retired!

Unknown said...

ok, you'll be my tour guide when i come to visit.

it always amazes me just how much more history there is in europe than over here. i get excited if i see a building that's 200 years old!

Frances said...

I always have this urge to 'touch' old buildings to soak up the warmth/vibes of old stone.

Jane said...

Fascinating. Val...Has anyone told you that you should be a teacher?! ;)

Music Wench said...

Wow, it's really interesting to me that there can still be structures standing that date that far back.

Thanks for sharing these photos. I love this kind of stuff. I spent a week and a half in England and it still wasn't enough to see all the wonderful things you have over there. I would love to be able to go back and spend more time.

Like SnarkAngel, I'll probably have to wait until I retire - if I can retire with the way things are going here.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake