View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Sunday, February 01, 2009

Final Farewell

Yesterday was my friend Lesley's funeral. After a moving service at the crematorium, we went a mile or two along the road to a hotel for a reception.

Woodlands Lane Hotel, Stoke D'Abernon, Surrey
As well as Lesley's elderly mother, her husband of more than 30 years, and family members, there were friends from every stage of Lesley's life, from school, university, neighbours, work colleagues from the earliest to the most recent jobs she held.
There was a champagne toast, a first for me at a funeral, and probably Lesley's own idea. She was great at making an entrance, and I think she would have loved to know she was making such an exit.
I'd known Lesley for nearly 45 years. She was 11 days older than me. She died 11 days ago. Tomorrow will be the first time ever that I will have lived longer than her. It's a strange feeling.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A work colleague of mine had a brain haemorrage (if I spelt that right, it's a miracle!) and died at the age of 40. She was vivacious, full of fun, played the drums in a band, and her funeral was a lovely celebration of her life. Just how it should be. What was it Jackie Kennedy once said? 'Remember that he lived, not just that he died' (or something like that). Farewell to your friend, Val, but you have your memories of precious times spent together.

SnarkAngel said...

Sounds like a fitting tribute to a most beloved individual, and one more than worthy of being remembered. *BIG HUGS*

Jane said...

Sounds like she would have been pleased with the way her friends and family said goodbye..

JoJo said...

What a beautiful and elegant send off. She sounds like a remarkable lady and I'm so sorry for your loss.

aprilspring said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I have never loss a dear friend like that and I do not know what it is like, but my heart and prayers are out to you. Just remember it's the memories that will last forever...

Unknown said...

val,

my deepest condolences to you...a champagne toast at a funeral is totally cool. who says that you must be somber? diane's right; celebrating that someone lived is more meaningful then remembering that they died.

mental hugs

Frances said...

Val, so sorry to read of your friend's passing.

VivB said...

Life brings tears, smiles and memories. The tears dry, the smile fades but the memories live on forever.

::hugs::

jazzy said...

we have to enjoy life as long as we can.
*hugs*

Anonymous said...

Sounds like she would have been pleased with the way her friends and family said goodbye..

___________________

Vince

#1 Satellite Television Service Provider

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake