View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Thursday, January 22, 2009

Goodbye, Lesley

In April of last year I had a get-together with two of my oldest friends. I missed the summer reunion because Lesley (centre in the picture) had an urgent hospital appointment after a post-cancer test came back with a dodgy result, and the dinner was changed to a date I couldn't make.


I kept meaning to email her to ask how the appointment had gone, but somehow never got round to it. I suppose I just assumed everything would be OK.

A couple for weeks ago Jenny (on the left in the picture) phoned me to say Lesley was told in November that she only had six months. Jen had seen her, and as an experienced nurse, she was certain Lesley would not make it that long.

Lesley died yesterday. She was 55. I was longing for her to make it to her birthday on St Patrick's Day, but in the end the cancer was too strong for her.

She leaves behind a husband, Pete, and her elderly mother, Joy.

13 comments:

Dirty Soap said...

I am sorry to hear that.Cancer (no matter what kind it is) sucks!My condolences to you and all of her friends and family.

judith said...

so sorry to hear of your friend's death.x

val said...

Thanks, Bryde. I know you understand more than most.

Tricia972 said...

Val
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I lost 2 grandparents to cancer and no matter what age they are, it's always hard, but to lose someone at only 55 is just awful! Please except my condolences.

Eliza said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Having lost relatives to cancer I know how horrible it is..my sympathy to everyone

JanetOOO said...

You and her family have my
heart felt sympathy.
Cancer always seems so
indiscriminate and cruel.
I had two close friends
taken by cancer in one
year, both in their 40's.
They are in my thoughts
often as I am sure your
friend will be in yours.

SnarkAngel said...

You have my deepest and most heartfelt sympathies, Val. As you know, we (me and my good friends) lost Kerry in 2008, and Robbie, before that. Both were cancer-related. Please accept a big, virtual hug from across the pond ...

pacatam said...

Oh Val, I'm so sorry for your loss! I so hope for the day that "Cancer"is a word of the past.
Tami

Music Wench said...

So sorry to hear about your friend, Lesley. I've had several members of my family die of cancer. It's a horrible disease.

Condolences to you and to all who knew and loved her.

Anonymous said...

Late seeing this, but, as Bobby would say, still 'sorry for your loss'.

JoJo said...

I'm sooo sorry, Val. Cancer sucks.

jazzy said...

i never know what to say when sad things happened; so just take a big hug from me.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry to hear.........

___________________

Vince

Your movies on demand

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake