View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Sunday, March 02, 2008

Stonehenge

In June 2004, just two months after I had my hip replacement operation, I booked on a one-day trip to Salisbury, Old Sarum and Stonehenge.

I'd been to Stonehenge before, but this time it was going to be possible to actually go up to the stones and touch them. English Heritage has a legal obligation to limit the number of people who get to go up to the stones, not least because the wear and tear on the environment is in danger of undermining the stones. So this was an opportunity I could not miss.

It was a filthy day, and by the time we were at Old Sarum, I was in no fit state to do a complete tour of the site on my crutches. When we got to Stonehenge, it was still open to the public, and we had to wait for it to close before we could gain full access to the monument. While we waited, the clouds that had sent down their drenching rain on us all day suddenly cleared, and the sun came out. It was like a miracle. The effects of the sun and shadows on the experience were stunning.

6 comments:

JoJo said...

What beautiful photos! And you were so lucky to get to wander amongst the stones and touch them. I wish my high school trip had included a stop at Stonehenge.

Jane said...

Stunning photos Val! I would love to visit Stonehenge someday.

Eliza said...

I need to go back there someday soon.There is a picture of me somewhere actually sitting on one of the stones...in my defence I was only about 3 and they weren't as protected them as they are now.

Lovely pics Val,thank you

SnarkAngel said...

Absolutely lovely photography, Val. The only thing that could have made them more beautiful is if Vincent himself were sitting atop one of the tallest structures. LOL

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, I wish I'd never seen 'Spinal Tap' ;0)

Beautiful photos Val.

Laura Cousins said...

Ahhh I wish I had known you then Val - I could have come over and met you. The Henge is a marvellous place in spite of all the touristy crap. English Heritage have a difficult job on their hands. Beautiful photographs - thanks for sharing.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake