View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Monday, March 24, 2008

Colour in Nature



JoJo posted a picture of some kind of chick that was not as nature intended, and Diane quite rightly said that nature doesn't do anything quite that funky in bird plumage/colouring.

It's true that pastels are not really nature's way in bird plumage, but there are some great colours around even so - including the pastel pink rosa Bourke's parakeet (I used to have one, and they are truly sweet creatures).

Anyway, here's a selection of avian beauty, including the Eclectus, one of the few parrot species that are not only sexually dimorphic (boys and girls look different), but the female is the more colourful of the two. In fact, they are SO different, they used to be housed separately by people who thought they were different species.

They did NOT have successful breeding programmes!



6 comments:

Laura Cousins said...

Aren't they fabulous???

We'd just LOVE to have a beautiful, colourful cockerel strutting around outside with our girlies (we'd call him either 'Vincent' or 'Valentino', or maybe 'Cholo' I expect) but we value the peace with our neighbours too highly ...

JoJo said...

They are so beautiful!!! I would love to have some feathers!

Unknown said...

they are beautiful...and you had the pink parakeet? i had a blue parakeet as a little girl and he was a doll!

SnarkAngel said...

Absolutely beautiful ... and irresistably cute! I love the pic of them gathered in a circle at feeding time.

Jane said...

Stunning! I love the finch.

Eliza said...

Like Tess I think the finch is my favourite,but they are all beautiful!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake