View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Tuesday, October 10, 2006

What Wisdom

Nomi on her blog has been talking about her dental problems - a choice between root canal work and extraction - and it reminded me of my experience of having my lower wisdom teeth out back in 1976.

Everyone I knew who'd had wisdom teeth out had them done in the hospital and had swollen faces and jaws black with bruising. I was having mine done at the dentist's surgery, so I was expecting the worst.

So there I was in the chair with an armful of valium, floating up at the ceiling and thinking, "Ooh, this is taking a long time", not knowing that the first tooth was taking ONE HOUR to remove. The second took only(!) 15 minutes. The teeth had an extra root that didn't show up on the x-ray.

I was lucky - I had no bruising or swelling, but I spent the next two weeks picking bits of broken tooth out from beneath the stitches.

A few years later the same dentist managed to kill a teenage boy. He turned up for treatment involving an anaesthetic without having fasted. He was sent away till the afternoon, but when he was put out he started to turn blue, so they revived him. When he recovered his colour, they carried on - and he died. Funny how no-one would go to that dentist after that...

My current dentist took precisely five seconds to remove one of my upper wisdom teeth a few years ago. I don't have much wisdom left now.

6 comments:

JoJo said...

OMG, what a horrid experience!!! That poor kid though.

abc said...

ouch. dentists, tell me about it.

i got my three (i had only three) wisdom teeth removed a few years ago, along with my two canine teeth, because the didn't grow properly. in fact, they just prefered to stay completely inside the jaw and not come out a bit.
so i got a general anaesthetic and didn't feel anything of the procedure, but due to the whole stiching and everything in my mouth (some wire for example) i couldn't speak or eat properly for about a week and looked like prince william ;)
but my teeth are all in their right position now and no dentist is gonna come too close to me again unless he doesn't like his fingers so much ^^

val said...

LOL, Tamara

fezzi said...

I'm actually going to the dentist tomorrow. I had a wisdom tooth out a couple of months ago. Just one, and it popped right out, didn't take long at all. But it kicked my butt for a week afterwords, and you know what everyone said to me? "It's your age, it's worse as you get older." I'm 31!

JoJo said...

Ah to be 31 again....Sorry Fezzi, but it's true, I'm Twenty-Twenty One (nearly Twenty-Twenty Two) and I can barely walk when I get out of bed in the morning!

JoJo said...

PS I wish I could say I can barely walk b/c of having sex all night with Vincent, but alas, that's not the reason. :)

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake