View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Saturday, May 27, 2006

Stonehenge



There are only so visitors many per year that English Heritage is permitted to allow actually inside Stonehenge. Most of those are taken up by the so-called "Druids" that regard it as their holy place, even though it predates them by millennia and is probably not a giant calendar to mark the summer solstice like they think.

I was lucky enough to go on a trip to the stones in the summer of 2004. The weather was appalling all day, and we all soaked our way round Salisbury and Old Sarum. First we went round Stonehenge as ordinary visitors, and it continued to pour down. Then it closed and we left to encourage the ordinary visitors to go. As our time approached, the skies cleared and the sun came beaming out. It was magical.

4 comments:

ann said...

I don't think there was any restrictions years ago. I haven't been in a long long time... makes me feel a visit to that neck of the woods is long overdue.

lotsa luv ann xxxxxx

eliza said...

Ann is right,years ago there were no restrictions at all.I have a photograph of me,age 5 or 6,sat on one of the stones.No fences,no visitor centre,just the stones.

I like Stonehenge and the feelings I get there.

Have you been to Avebury?? The stones there feel creepy :)

Eliza xxxxx

val said...

As soon as life gives me time, Avebury's on my to-do list.

You used to be able to go up to the stones, but to avoid damage to them and erosion of the soil around them it's been restricted for quite a few years

Anonymous said...

Stonehenge and Avebury are just down the road from me - lots of ancient stuff in the West Country. Great places, both of them.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake