View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Monday, June 24, 2013

Farewell, My Mitzi

On Saturday night I noticed my little Mitzi had a lump on the side of her face. It seemed quite hard, which made me very concerned. But I hoped for the best - a bad tooth, an abscess caused by a bite. I took her to the vet's today, and he kept her in for exploratory surgery.

Then came the call. Cancer was eating away at her jaw. She'd hidden her pain and discomfort for so long, there was really nothing he could do. I gave the go-ahead for him to euthanize her without waking her from the anaesthetic. I didn't get to say goodbye.

I went along to kiss her poor dead body farewell, then leave her to be taken for cremation. She was barely 15.

I adopted Mitzi when she was about a year old, along with one of her kittens. She had been rescued from a back garden, abandoned by owners who hadn't bothered to get her spayed, then left her to care for her babies.

Mitzi remained tiny, having used all her energy raising her babies. Her daughter Twiglet is gigantic.

It took a long time for her to settle in. Her first venture outside was nearly permanent. She just didn't come back. I leafleted the area, and locals located her and helped me put out a trap. It was six months before she was allowed out again.

Gradually she became strokeable, on her own terms. She enjoyed her garden and her home, and would climb on to my shoulder for a fuss. But she remained nervous and wary.

She was especially fond of the chicken coop, back when I had hens. She would sunbathe on top, or sneak inside for a nap. Once she even got herself locked inside when the hens went to bed, which gave all of us a shock.

 photo DSC01722_zps6fc49bba.jpg

I know she was happy. I just wish it had been for longer.

11 comments:

JoJo said...

Aw Val...I'm so, so sorry for your loss. ((hugs)) She had a great life and a wonderful, loving home & mom.

miss lee said...

I'm so sorry Val n sorry for ur lost. Prayers are with you.

judith said...

So sorry to read of your loss. Hugs being sent your way.xx

anactingnurse said...

Sorry about Mitzi. Sounds like you have a lot of fond memories of her.

sixtwosue said...

Poor kitty ... I am so sorry. Many hugs coming your way.

Sandy said...

Wonder why she didn't let on more that she didn't well. I guess she didn't want you to worry.

Anonymous said...

Losing a pet is always painful.

val said...

I'd like to think so, Sandy, but it's pretty certain that animals hide illness to make themselves less vulnerable in the wild.

Eliza said...

Oh Val...you have my sympathy..and my hugs, as virtual as they are

I do think it is a design fault in them that things often don't show up until it's too late..Heskey could have been treated if we had known how ill she was, but it wasn't until she collapsed that we found out..bloody animals break your hearts every time..but life would be so much lonelier without them.

Take care x

Claire said...

Sorry to hear that. She had a wonderful life I guess.

I'm a bit shaken because one year ago today we had to put our 21-year-old to sleep. "Just" a matter of finding the "right" day 'cause we knew it was inevitable (talk about responsibility, rationality and stuff). Hope we managed to make his last days as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear, Val. I know how you cherish your animals. You have done her well.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake