View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Tuesday, October 16, 2012

It makes my blood boil!

Some of you may remember that a few months ago I had some problems with my central heating boiler. I thought they were resolved, but when the weather turned cold I discovered the same problem was persisting. Of course, British Gas, who hold the maintenance contract, insisted it was a different fault, and wanted to charge me an extra £50 fee (I have an excess payment to keep my monthly payments down. This usually worlds well for me as in 12 years this is the first time I've had any problems with the boiler). They sent back the same engineer on the same day I called in the continuing fault, which I thought was pretty good going. Meanwhile I'd found some possible fault causes in the handbook. On the back of one of these he tested the air pressure switch and found it was the wrong pressure for the boiler! Given that no one has ever replaced any part of the appliance, this must have happened at the factory when it was made. Yesterday he came back and fitted the correct switch. I'm hoping this will be the end of it. But meanwhile I had agreed to have someone give me an estimate to replace the old boiler with a new energy efficient condensing one.
This is the recommended one, a Worcester Bosch combi boiler. With the promotional £400 off, and an extra £150 discount for being a current customer, it will only cost me...£2,492.31. Cash. A lot more if I use their credit system.

This will save me an amazing £115.34 a year, £1,730.10 over the lifetime of the boiler.  Wow.

3 comments:

Eliza said...

Hearing things like this makes me glad we rent our house..we had a new boiler fitted a couple of years ago, it's checked every year and if there is a problem someone will be out that day...not much comfort to you though.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the problem is properly fixed now

JoJo said...

When my mom had her new oil furnace installed, the techs incorrectly wired the thermostats. So she'd turn it on in the kitchen and the upstairs would heat up. Turn on the therm in the diningroom and the kitchen heated up. They were such idiots. They also forgot to put the firewall barrier in the cellar as well. Idiots.

Anonymous said...

Every time we have our (old) boiler serviced, the man who does it tells us to hold onto it for as long as possible because the 'new' supposedly super-efficient boilers are actually quite remarkably crap!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake