View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Saturday, September 24, 2011

On The Fence

It's been a busy, tiring week, not least because on Wednesday and Thursday I was having my overgrown, rickety old fence torn down and replaced.
On one side of the garden the fence belongs to my neighbour to the north. A couple of years ago she had the kind of fence built that most people seem to go for - panels like this that don't last very long.

I wanted something different on the south side of the garden, where I am responsible for the fence. My first quote for the job was for £3,400. That was a bit depressing, especially as the guy really didn't listen to exactly what I wanted.

The estimate I accepted was for £900 to build exactly what I wanted. Quite a difference.

The top end of the garden won't be finished till the end of next week. The compost bin is in my neighbour's garden; the corrugated iron panel marks the edge of what was a particularly derelict part of the old fence. An additional difficulty for Robert, the workman, is that over the years the levels of the two gardens have changed, and mine is lower than next door's.



The bare bones of the fence to come:



And the finished article for the main part of the garden:
There are heaps
and heaps of rubble to be disposed of, and no way out of the garden except though the house!
Mitzi shows off one part of the finished patio fence
and Beano the other.
Next weekend the hen coop will no longer be occupied, as Poppy and Pansy are going to a new home in the country, where they can wander about safely all day. And I can sleep late for the first time in 18 months!
I'll miss them. But it's best for all of us.
Meanwhile, the neighbour to the north is very jealous of my fence. She knows it will outlast hers by years. I guess Robert will get the job for the rebuild...

8 comments:

vikeau said...

You have cats that model. Looks like a very daunting project but well worth the finished product. Cheers.

JoJo said...

I'm so glad you got a good price for the fence you want. That's important. What made you decide to re-home the hens?

Eliza said...

I'm glad you got the job done eventually..it looks really nice with the rounded tops :-)

I imagine a lie in will feel wonderful..I hope to experience one myself one day when the kids all leave home

Frances said...

It always pays to get several quotes and will go with the contractor who will 'listen' and quote on what I want.

Good luck with the backyard clean-up.

Anonymous said...

Fence looks great - I painted 4 x 4' fence panels yesterday in my mother's garden. Only another 1 x 4', 2 x 5' and 3 x 6' ones to go then....

val said...

Exhaustion did the trick, JoJo. My brain is mush from it. And my arthritic joints which can't really cope with the physical tasks involved. Add to that the guilt that I can't be there with them all day so they can be running free for more than a couple of hours a day - less when the winter comes. In their new home, they will have free run of a huge garden (or if they prefer, a smaller but still considerable enclosure) all day long. It's safe from foxes, they will have the companionship of a few more hens and will meet a cock for the first time!

Hen heaven on earth!

Ruby said...

Looks like Mitzi and Beano are very happy, Val! I know you will miss the hens, but it sounds like it will be for the best for all of you. Sometimes we have to sacrifice for those we love even though it can be very painful.

judith said...

Sorry Val. but when you wrote meeting a cock for the first time it really made me laugh..again I'm sorry.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake