View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Captain Pugwash


Some time ago, a children's cartoon programme attracted controversy about which I was unaware at the time, and it was only today that I discovered that the story was false. But it's too good to pass up.

Captain Pugwash, as you can see, was a pirate, and the common currency is that his crew was made up of Master Bates, Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin Boy (to roger in UK English is for a man to have sex with).

Sadly this appears to have been a fiction attached to a harmless show, and apparently it had to be publicly denied when the writer of the show threatened to sue. What a shame!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shame, it was a great story - although I never missed Captain Pugwash, and darned if I could remember a crew member called 'Master Bates' ;0)

JoJo said...

That is just too funny. It's it a riot how these myths start and then grow?

Eliza said...

:-)

brings back memories,that picture.I was aware of the myth,and my kids still repeat it,but like Di,I never actually remembered a Master Bates...although it does make for a great story

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake