View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Sunday, October 07, 2007

George Cansdale


Last night there was a programme on TV called 100 years of Wildlife Films. The earliest was from 1896, but others of the very early ones, from about 1909, with equipment that was barely portable being schlepped up rocky cliffs, and the cameraman going to great lengths to acclimatise creatures to the noise of a ratchety handle being turned, were interesting. In the 1930s, there was a huge split in the way wildlife was filmed, with American "personalities" who knew nothing about the animals shooting them dead on camera - lots of them, sometimes, including lions, just to get the scene right. Meanwhile, from Britain, a man called Cherry Kearton was already filming sympathetically and with the welfare of the animals in mind.

The programme included David Attenborough, of course, and Sir Peter Scott. Gerald Durrell was missing, but he wrote about the creatures rather than filming them. Armand and Michaela Dennis were there. Johnny Morris, who pretended to be a zookeeper at Bristol Zoo, and voiced the "thoughts" of the animals in Zoo Time, a children's show that was on for over 20 years, was shown being spat at by camels and laughing about it as he pleaded for the cameras to cut. Desmond Morris, thankfully, was missing. He always was an arrogant git, what with his book declaring that walking on two legs was done for the benefit of the male of the species, so he could hunt better, and the little woman just had to go along with it so he could mate with her more easily.

But there was no mention of the man I remember best, and who seems to have been largely forgotten by everyone. He was George Cansdale. He used to appear regularly on TV in the 1950s, though it was only when I googled him today that I found out he was the Superintendant of London Zoo. I remember him best for bringing bush babies into the studio. He also visited my school, my humble little school in a poor and grotty part of London, and had the ubiquitous little bug-eyed mammal with him then, too. I think hew also had some snakes.

He is not forgotten. There were over 15,000 hits on Google. I know many wouldn't turn out to be him, but his name is out there, immortal in cyberspace.

7 comments:

SnarkAngel said...

What an adorable creature (I mean the animal, not George ... hee)! Was it his visit to your school that awakened your interest in animals and animal welfare?

val said...

It certainly didn't hurt, but we were always animal lovers at home. I have to say, though, that London Zoo at that time was a very upsetting place to visit. I remember a gorgeous tiger pacing up and down behind bars in a concrete-floored cage. Guy the Gorilla was great, though. His memory lingers on, and there's even a statue of him.

Eliza said...

I remember Johnny Morris,although not George Cansdale ( not really a surprise)I've read most of Gerald Durrell's books too,wonderfully written they are too. :-)

Zoe"s Mum said...

Hello Val,

Although George was the first animal presenter on TV, strictly speaking he did not qualify as a maker of wildlife films which is what last night's programme was about.
Several of those featured yesterday including David Attenborough, Bill Oddie and David Belamy have told us how George's programmes inspired them. David Attenborough actually produced some of George's early programmes at Alexandra Palace.

It is getting late, so that's all I will write for the moment, but thanks very much for your nice blog.

Richard (Cansdale)

val said...

Richard, I am honoured to have you comment on my blog. I see what you mean - but I've emailed Radio Times already. I can't help feeling that the man who did so much to interest children in animals should have a bigger place in wildlife history.

Anonymous said...

Hi again Val,
It was very late when I spotted your blog last night.

It is wonderful to hear how 14 years after George's death, he is still fondly remembered by very many people. Some years after his own programmes in the 50's and 60's he became Blue Peter's animal expert and would often appear with only the shortest introduction. Many BP viewers only knew him as George.

He was always interested in animals as boy, but in 1934 he went to the Gold Coast (Ghana) where he had a chance to study animals in great detail. His main interest was reptiles and small mammals. He discovered several new species, including one named Mrs. Cansdale's Bat.

In 1948 he was appointed Superintendant of London Zoo. He moved on in 1953 but kept an interest in other zoos, broadcasting and writing. Look for Cansdale in Ebay and there are nearly always some of his books available.

One of his zoo projects required a supply of clean sea water for the seals and sea lions. For this he pioneered a system for sucking water from under the beach - still salty, but very clean. This in turn led to using similar techniques in Africa to provide clean drinking water. Go to video.google.com and look for Canzee Pumps.

I myself was a teacher (Biology - surprise, surprise) until 1977 when joined my father in the water business. 30 years later I have been to Africa 40+ times, and installed sea water intakes in 100 or more beaches. Having lived in London zoo until I was six, and then had a chance to travel very widely, I count myself very lucky.

Our next big project is a pump workshop in Malawi. see www.wellsforzoe.org

I am being called for my supper so I must stop. Just one more thing. Yes, in the 50's zoos could be sad places, but George cared passionately for the animals. The Tiger your referred to was probably Rajah who he stroked every time he passed him. Rajah always kept an eye open for him.

George would have been 100 years old in 2009. Perhaps the BBC should to a documentary on him?
take care and best regards,

Richard.

val said...

Thank you, Richard. I can scarcely believe that your father is not as well remembered as others, when he was obviously deeply committed to helping people. He was truly great, and even though I have always remembered him with fondness, I didn't know that till now. What a fortuitous post.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake